[thelist] web site check please

Lee kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 16 03:20:57 CST 2006

On 16/11/06, M. Seyon <evolt07 at delime.com> wrote:
> 3. The footer says "esales software (c) 2004 Lycosa Web Services Ltd". You're
> doing your clients a major disservice.
>
> All I'm really reading is "copyright 2004", and thinking "What? This site
> hasn't been updated since 2004? I wonder if they're even going to process
> my order."
>
> I would either change that to 2004-200x, or drop the date from the
> copyright statement.

"Copyright 2004" doesn't mean the site hasn't been updated, but I take
your point that it is possibly a common misconception.  A date range
is a certain indication that it has been updated.

Other visitors may equate an older copyright date to a more established outfit.

You absolutely cannot drop the date from your copyright statement, and
you must always include the year of first publication:
http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p03_copyright_notices.

If you want to emphasise your site has recently been, or is regularly
updated, make it more visible than in the copyright statement.

If you completely re-write a page, you shouldn't keep the old
copyright date.  If you want to emphasise the age of your site, make
it more visible than in the copyright statement.

Good feedback Marc.

--
Lee