[thelist] tuning MySQL

Hershel Robinson hershel at galleryrobinson.com
Tue Nov 28 13:57:21 CST 2006

> After 2.5 hours with about 20k of queries 11k of them failed according
> to phpMyAdmin.
> So I'm asking what can I do to optimize this? I have primary keys and
> the scripts that are connecting to it are only doing 1-2 SELECT's and 1
> UPDATE
> I increased max_connections, and query_cache_size but it just isn't
> doing it. I'm just not sure where to begin to look for bottle necks. Any
> suggestions?

Without any details as to your MySQL version, database size and
structure and (in particular) the nature of the SQL being executed, it
is virtually impossible to suggest ways to improve.

The SQL statements being executed are most likely an area which can be
improved, from what it sounds. A SELECT can include lots of elements, as
in no JOINs or 15 LEFT JOINs. 15 LEFT JOINs happening twice a second
over a period of 2.5 hours *could* be the issue.

Another question to ask is do you have all foreign relationships
(CONSTRAINTS) properly defined?

Perhaps you can send a sample SELECT statement?

Hershel

--
Web Site Construction by Gallery Robinson
http://galleryrobinson.com/