[thelist] Site Check: Is it accessible?

Donna Jones donnajjones at gwi.net
Fri Dec 1 00:14:06 CST 2006

Hi Stephen:  A great tool I use a lot is Fangs
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fangs  extension for firefox/mozilla.
it emulates a screen reader and prints out what a user would hear.  not
as good as using Jaws, of course, but can help.

other people have mentioned some things.  what i noticed is the lack of
headings.  one of the ways that people use Jaws is to scan the page and
getting all the headings is a big part of that.  You've used an image,
e.g. for your h1 but there is no text there for a screen reader to read.
  there are image replacement techniques which can take care of this.
here's one article,
http://www.digital-web.com/articles/in_defense_of_fahrner_image_replacement/
bit a search would get you many more.  I have Andy Budd's book, CSS
Mastery, and been using that as my source recently and going from there.

best
Donna

--
Donna Jones