[thelist] IE yellow form field backgrounds on email/postcode

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sun Dec 3 01:16:46 CST 2006

Hi ppl

(I sent this 24 hrs ago but haven't seen it appear yet, so I'm trying
again)

I may be slow to spot this, but in IE6 and IE7, for the first time
recently I spotted a lemon yellow background to three  fields in a
form.

I stripped the whole thing down to nothing as you can see here
<http://www.johnallsopp.co.uk/test2/test.html>. In IE6, and recently
upgraded to IE7 over XP, the top three fields have a lemon yellow
background.

The only thing that seems to make the background white is if I
disguise the text description, removing the keywords phone, postcode
and email and replacing them with nonsense. You can see I've tried to
style the background of one of them but that doesn't seem to have
worked.

On load, the page loads and the yellow comes up after. It's not
JavaScript tho, because I switched that off.

I presume I've discovered some wild 'helpful' feature of IE that
everyone else has discussed at length, but it's a new one on me. Could
someone enlighten me what's going on and perhaps offer an opinion on
whether I should override it or not.

Cheers