[thelist] help grabbing an RSS feed from a Google Group

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Mon Dec 4 09:27:09 CST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 09:51 -0400, M. Seyon wrote:

> >I'm trying to grab an RSS feed from a Google Group that requires membership
> >(I am a member). I'm using MagpieRSS to do the parsing and that works fine,
> >except that the feed can only be grabbed if one is logged in to the group.
> >
> >I'm pretty sure this is doable but it's simply outside of my know-how. How
> >can give a script or service login credentials to access the Google Group
> >feed and store it on my web server?
> >
> >The feed url would be
> >http://groups.google.com/group/[mygroupname]/feed/rss_v2_0_msgs.xml

In that case, your CLI would be all on one line:

curl -u username:password
https://groups.google.com/group/[mygroupname]/feed/rss_v2_0_msgs.xml

I added the "s" to http, lose it if you want/have to go in with clear
text. The "u" is the command to use a user/pass. More:
http://curl.planetmirror.com/docs/httpscripting.html

6. Authentication

 Authentication is the ability to tell the server your username and password
 so that it can verify that you're allowed to do the request you're doing. The
 Basic authentication used in HTTP (which is the type curl uses by default) is
 *plain* *text* based, which means it sends username and password only
 slightly obfuscated, but still fully readable by anyone that sniffs on the
 network between you and the remote server.

 To tell curl to use a user and password for authentication:

        curl -u name:password www.secrets.com

 The site might require a different authentication method (check the headers
 returned by the server), and then --ntlm, --digest, --negotiate or even
 --anyauth might be options that suit you.
 Sometimes your HTTP access is only available through the use of a HTTP
 proxy. This seems to be especially common at various companies. A HTTP proxy
 may require its own user and password to allow the client to get through to
 the Internet. To specify those with curl, run something like:

        curl -U proxyuser:proxypassword curl.haxx.se

 If your proxy requires the authentication to be done using the NTLM method,
 use --proxy-ntlm, if it requires Digest use --proxy-digest.

 If you use any one these user+password options but leave out the password
 part, curl will prompt for the password interactively.

--
cheers,

        Mark