[thelist] How to Code Multiple Languages?

Craig Givens nospamaddy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 15:51:58 CST 2006

I'm trying to develop either an HTML or Flash based drop down menu
that will allow the user to select their native language, click
Submit, then be forwarded to the homepage of their language. I want
the drop down menu to contain their native alphabet and native
character encoding, not simply an English translation of their
language.

I've been researching encoding and charsets like Unicode, UTF-8 and
big5 and there just doesn't seem to be a way to do this. The problem
is that there doesn't seem a way to encode multiple languages on the
same HTML page, so I thought perhaps this can be done in Flash as
graphics perhaps...?

Then I came across Answers.com, and when you go to one of their topics
pages such as this:

http://www.answers.com/topic/peace

You can see all the multiple languages rendered on screen, in the
browser, all on the same page using their native alphabet. I can't
find any reference for any encoding on the page...only CSS..!?!?

Can anyone make sense of this for me or offer suggestions?

What program do I need to use to create such a drop down menu, while
at the same time ensuring it is accessible?