[thelist] Coding standards.... [headers]

Barney Carroll barney at textmatters.com
Fri Dec 8 04:25:05 CST 2006

Lee kowalkowski wrote:
> On 07/12/06, Lee kowalkowski <lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Do you allow more than one H1 element in your pages?  Can you use a H3
>> heading if there's no subsequent H2?
>
> Grr, not subsequent, *previous*!

I'd somehow gotten it into my head that you could only use one h1 in any
one document. Turns out that's superstition.

I have a current design with a header which includes an h1 (link back to
the homepage) and an h2 (link back to the section homepage)... And then
the content proper also contains an h1 as its first element... Which is
the title of the page.

</semi-relevant anecdote>

I don't think there's any problem with this kind of use of headers. It
happens all the time that you have a document where there are 'sections'
of info with further little divisions... And you might get one of those
smaller divisions without a containing section. If you can make semantic
sense of it in your own head, do it.

Regards,
Barney