[thelist] Coding standards.... [headers]

Barney Carroll barney at textmatters.com
Fri Dec 8 12:09:34 CST 2006

Joel D Canfield wrote:
>> I'd somehow gotten it into my head that you could only use
>> one h1 in any
>> one document. Turns out that's superstition.
>
> from a *purely* semantic position, there is only one 'first' header on a
> page; again, being purely semantic, you should have a single h1, and all
> the rest of the <h>s should follow in appropriate outline/numeric
> fashion

But this is the problem: You imply this notion that Lee was questioning,
that h1 means 'first header', h2 means 'second header' etc. - if this
logic is followed, we are restricted to a maximum of 6 headers per
page... And the notion that something's position in the page should be
dictated in its element name in anything other than HEAD and BODY is
pretty suspect. It doesn't make an incredible amount of sense, although
I agree that that's what one would deduce from looking at it.

Besides, I'm forever seeing h1.firstHeader ...

Regards,
Barney