[thelist] Creating zip files in PHP that are HUGE!

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Mon Dec 11 11:44:51 CST 2006

There was a discussion about this last week and the consensus was to queue the zip creation and do it "off web server" by a cron job. That will save load on the web server and time for the user to wait properly.

That said, if you are in a shared hosting environment, it's possible that your ISP is killing processes that go over a specific load for a specific amount of time. I've had that issue before, even with cron jobs where they would spike the CPU for too long and an automated process would come along and kill them.

Might want to check with your ISP on what they are doing with the shared environment.