[thelist] Webserver separate from mail server?

Flavia Tarzwell (FayeC) ftarzwell at fayec.com
Tue Dec 12 20:28:37 CST 2006

Can anybody tell me if it's possible to run a mail server separately
from the web server?
A friend of mine has a client who is planning to host their own mail
server (issues with the current host) but they are not planning on
moving the site to their own web server. Ie just the mail that would be
separate from the rest of the site.
I have no concrete information on if this is even possible to accomplish.
And I thought that since the domain is pointing to the web server's IP
that it might be a little more complicated to set up the mail to be
redirectd to a different IP??
Can someone clarify that (if possible or not?)?

Thanks in advance,

FayeC