[thelist] Coding standards.... [headers]

Austin Harris austin at dotmail.co.uk
Wed Dec 13 05:48:38 CST 2006

>>Jens Brueckmann wrote:
>> "HTML, H2 elements should follow H1 elements, H3 elements should
>> follow H2 elements, etc. Content developers should not 'skip' levels
>> (e.g., H1 directly to H3)."
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#document-headers
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> jens.

>This seals it as far as best practice is concerned!

>- Authors as I imagine them might feel constrained by this tiered
>tree-branch pattern that all web documents should be able to be
>represented by.

>- Information architects doubtless love this idea, but then they have no
>business inside the document.

>- 'Content developers', on the other hand... (heeheehee)

Not sure how to take this last comment, (as a contract developer) (hohoho, to add a bit of christmas cheer ;)
I'm sure project managers / full time developers are sick of me banging on about following standards but then that is what they pay me for...

It's always one that is tricky to get right IMHO. I seem to spend most of my time "cleaning" other peoples code to get it up to scratch before I even get to things like this - STILL taking tables out of layouts on very big sites...

Austin (Great thread btw).