[thelist] Coding standards.... [headers]

Lee kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 13 06:06:35 CST 2006

On 13/12/06, Barney Carroll <barney at textmatters.com> wrote:
> Jens Brueckmann wrote:
> > [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#document-headers
> This seals it as far as best practice is concerned!
>
> - Authors as I imagine them might feel constrained by this tiered
> tree-branch pattern that all web documents should be able to be
> represented by.

Well they shouldn't, there's nothing wrong with having different
classes of h2 headings.  It must be OK, the accessibility guidelines
themselves have [1, above].

Basically, if it's a subtopic heading, then increment the level, if
it's a new subject heading, use the previous level (or higher).  If
you need headings of the same level to look different, classify your
headings.

If you wish to avoid multiple H1s, then consider a creating a new page.

--
Lee