[thelist] Proper commenting and code maintainance [was:Whydoesthis JS code work the way it does???]

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Wed Dec 13 12:24:24 CST 2006

Anthony Baratta noted:

>>I'm primarily coding in dotNet C# right now and when we build
>>Assemblies, I've been forcing my team to use the XML comments
>>format for adding info about the NameSpace, Class, and Function
>>into the compiled code. We then turn on XML documentation at
>>compile time to generate and XML "help" document and use NDOC
>>to convert that into a compiled help file and web pages.

>>That format works pretty well for us right now.

Hi Anthony,

That sounds pretty neat - and much more comprehensive than what
I was thinking about!  ;-)

Actually, I was kinda thinking back to the old days when I seem
to recall you doing some neat things with ASP dictionary objects.
I was just kinda wondering if it might make some sense to leave
a helpful hint or two to future code maintainers on how to use
those boogers ... and whether it might be cool to leave that note
in a custom attribute on the object itself cuz paper and 'outfile'
documentation tends to disappear over time.

RonL.