[thelist] Proper commenting and code maintainance[was:Whydoesthis JS code work the way it does???]

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Wed Dec 13 16:51:57 CST 2006

-----Original message-----
From: "Luther, Ron" Ron.Luther at hp.com
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:24:24 -0800
To: "Anthony Baratta" anthony at baratta.com, thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: RE: [thelist] Proper commenting and code maintainance [was:Whydoesthis JS code work the way it does???]

> Hi Anthony,
>
> That sounds pretty neat - and much more comprehensive than what
> I was thinking about!  ;-)
>
> Actually, I was kinda thinking back to the old days when I seem
> to recall you doing some neat things with ASP dictionary objects.
> I was just kinda wondering if it might make some sense to leave
> a helpful hint or two to future code maintainers on how to use
> those boogers ... and whether it might be cool to leave that note
> in a custom attribute on the object itself cuz paper and 'outfile'
> documentation tends to disappear over time.

Yeah - the nice thing about the assemblyembeded XML documentation is that it works with IntelliSense. Once you create a refernce to the DLL and Visual Studio gives you "code completion" with the object properties and methods - the XML comments show up as "hints".

So at minimum you have that.

Your style of embeded an object with help info is workable too, but if someone doesn't know the "Help" Property name - without some type of code completion / IntelliSense assiting you - that is as lost as any physical documentation. ;-P

It all boils down to a basic framework that everyone buys in on, and as people come and go - is easy to maintain as part of the coding culture. But as you well know, when you switch environments / coding languages / platforms - all bets are off and everything changes anyway.

Which is why I've been able to force my current work environment into the direction we are going because dotNet is all new here. No dotNet legacy and no current dotNet culture to over come.