[thelist] Workaround for setAttribute bug in IE7?

Lee kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 14 09:32:13 CST 2006

On 14/12/06, Matt Warden <mwarden at gmail.com> wrote:
> Try to make this simple:
>
> Clearly an operation manipulating the DOM:
> input.setAttribute('size', 5);

I'm not deliberately overlooking your point.  It's more like:  Who
would expect location.href=url to load a new document when
location.assign(url) is a better match for the behaviour?  I just
think setAttribute is a poor example of the same argument, because
setAttribute is merely an encapsulated assignment.

I also think you're focusing too much on distinguishment between an
attribute and a property; they're essentially synonyms for "variable".
 With a good JavaScript binding to the HTML DOM, the assignment
operator is sufficiently overloaded to ensure there isn't any actual
difference (huh, in *most* cases).

> (If you want me to respond to the name-calling portion of your email,
> perhaps we should take it offlist. Thanks.)

Eh?  What name-calling?  *Making a note to oneself to never try to pay
Matt a compliment ever again!*.  It was public praise, enjoy it while
it's available!

Seriously - I hold your contribution to this list in the highest
regard.  Only a few contributors demonstrate they really know their
stuff.  You do it with impressive consistency.  I call it genius.
Keep it up.

I'd like everybody else to know that I still respect *their*
contributions!  LOL, if they're still reading, that is.

--
Lee