[thelist] Pure css flyouts inside an overflow:hidden faux column

Barney Carroll barney at textmatters.com
Wed Dec 20 04:34:27 CST 2006

Hi guys,

Put this around some dedicated CSS lists, nobody seems to have the answers.

I'm building a site that uses the time-hallowed 'faux columns' model, by
giving my nav bar and content huge padding and equally huge negative
margin, with the property overflow:hidden, so that both extend to the
lowest point of either.

I'm also using the not unheard of flyout submenu system, whereby my nav
consists of one vertical ul, and each relatively positioned li reveals a
further ul absolutely positioned to the left of it.

We are at the stage where the client is uploading content and one of the
submenus has become huge - to the point of dissapearing below the edge
of the nav column.

It's the stupidest thing in the world, and I never thought of it.
Anybody know of any workarounds?

Regards,
Barney