[thelist] html height 101%

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Thu Dec 21 13:36:19 CST 2006

> Unfortunately, overflow-y doesn't work in Opera (and probably in some
> other browsers as well), and it won't validate (if you care).

true :(
and, I do :)

> You could
> try this:
>   html {
>     height: 100%;
>     margin-bottom: 1px;
>   }
> from this article:
> http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/forcing-scrollbars-now-ev
> en-better

Ockham's razor (yes, I know I'm misapplying it; Ockham can sue me) - if
one rule works the same as two, I'll use one. So, how is setting html
height and margin-bottom better than just setting html height to 101%? I
didn't get it from the article or comments. not arguing; just asking, in
case (as is likely) I'm missing something, or confused, or ignorant.

joel