[thelist] Logging Activity on OS X 10.4

M.D. marathon.durandal at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 15:25:27 CST 2006

Nick Daverin wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm looking for a way to log resource usage on my webserver (OS X 10.4
> client). I apologize if this has been gone over, I tried searching the
> archives, but the most relevant question I found concerned how do
> identify a rogue MS SQL instruction (and we use mySQL here), AFTER the
> resource usage was noticed.
>
> The ideal application would:
>    Monitor CPU usage by service, possibly with a limiter so it would
> only log usage > a set amount
>    Monitor Bandwidth, separated by in/out, maybe with destination IP?
> (For httpd, ftp, sftp, ssh, telnet, etc not only 'web' traffic)
>    Monitor RAM statistics

I think 'apachetop' will do this;

 aptitude show apachetop
Package: apachetop
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 0.12.6-5~bpo.1
 Apache top is a curses-based realtime utility to display information
from a running copy
 of Apache.

 It is modelled after the standard 'top' utility, and displays
information such as the
 requests pers second, bytes per second and the most popular URLs displayed.

 It must be run from a machine running Apache, as it works by processing
the logfiles
 found in /var/log/apache.

HTH