[thelist] Redemption period for an expired domain

Marc. S. webdevpost at delime.com
Sat Jan 6 08:04:58 CST 2007

Hi Joan,

All the best to you too.

Domains normally remain in redemptionperiod for about 30 days, and
then enter pendingdelete for a further five days. This is pretty
irrelevant though as chances are if the domain is anything worth
having, someone will snap it up the moment it expires using an
automated service.

I've never gone through the process myself, but from all accounts,
your best chance to acquire the domain yourself is to use one of those
services. Godaddy has an aftermarket service that I like. The
acquisition fee is about $20. But if the domain you're interested in
goes to auction the fee is put toward a bid, if you choose to make
one. And if you're not successful in acquiring the domain you can
apply the fee to a new domain.

There are lots of other options out there so look around. But don't
count on being able to grab it yourself.

regards.
-marc