[thelist] How to make your firefox sing (for web application developers)

Sarah Adams mr.sanders at geekjock.ca
Thu Jan 11 12:31:58 CST 2007

> "How to make your firefox sing (for web application developers)"
> http://www.volkanozcelik.com/cre8/blog/2007/01/how-to-make-your-firefox-sing-for-web.html

Volkan - great list! Just a few notes:

First, I have to plug one of the extensions I can't live without,
Inspect This, which allows you to right-click an element on a page and
be taken directly to that element in the DOM Inspector:
http://firefox.mackay-it.com/extensions/inspectthis/

FEBE: check out the companion extension, CLEO (Compact Library Extension
Organizer), which "works with FEBE to package any number of
extensions/themes into a single, installable .xpi file.":
http://customsoftwareconsult.com/extensions/cleo/cleo.html

Aardvark: check out Platypus, which has similar options (plus some) but
also lets you save the changes you make to a page as a Greasemonkey
script (great for removing ads and other cruft from sites you visit often):
http://platypus.mozdev.org/

HTML Validator: I've always just used the validators in the Web
Developer toolbar, but this is pretty freakin' sweet!

Colorzilla: I like Pixie cause it gives me a colour picker I can use
anywhere, not just in Firefox, and it's very small:
http://www.nattyware.com/pixie.html

Measure it: check out the Miscellaneous button on the Web Developer
Toolbar, it has line guides and a ruler.

IE View: check out the "smaller and more efficient IE View Lite":
http://www.graysonmixon.com/extension/#ieview
also check out OperaView:
http://operaview.mozdev.org/

Linkification: another option is just to select a plain text link and
drag it to the tab bar or address bar, which will open the link - in a
new tab if you drag it to the tab bar, in the existing tab if you drag
it to the address bar. Seems like a lot of people don't know about this.

Image Zoom: using the Images button on the Web Developer Toolbar, you
can show all images full-size; also, using the Resize button there is a
zoom option (for the whole page, though, not just images) and using the
Miscellaneous button there is a page magnifier tool.

Download Manager Tweak: some of these options are also available in the
All-in-one Sidebar extension, which I noticed you mentioned in your top
10 extensions article.

--
sarah adams
web developer & programmer