[thelist] Screen Resolution, which to design for?

Ben Joyce ben.joyce at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 07:15:46 CST 2007

Screen Resolution and Page Layout (Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox)
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/screen_resolution.html

----- 8< -----
Big monitors are the easiest way to increase white-collar
productivity, and anyone who makes at least $50,000 per year ought to
have at least 1600x1200 screen resolution. A flat-panel display with
this resolution currently costs less than $500. So, as long as the
bigger display increases productivity by at least 0.5%, you'll recover
the investment in less than a year. (The typical corporate overhead
doubles the company's per-employee cost; always remember to use loaded
cost, not take-home salary, in any productivity calculation.)

The bit that reads "anyone who makes at least $50,000 per year ought
to have at least 1600x1200 screen resolution" is hilarious and one of
the most retarded things I have ever read.  I stopped reading after
that.

Ben