[thelist] Screen Resolution, which to design for?

Mark Howells webdev at mountain.ch
Mon Jan 15 09:29:38 CST 2007

> Do you really think anyone with those higher resolutions browses with
> the window maximized? I have 1024x768 on my work laptop, and my
> firefox window stays at around 75% of the screen width.

Half a dozen of my colleagues browse at 1600x1200 with browser set to
maximum window height, and a width of about 1000px. I've seen clients
using IE at 3/4 screen width on a 1024 monitor. Neither of those
points should make any difference to design, as optimizing a design
for one particular screen size and letting it automatically "degrade"
is perfectly acceptable.

Mark Howells
- www.permanenttourist.ch
- www.flickr.com/photos/mhowells/