[thelist] Accessibility/usability of "Select Option" at top of list

Russ russ at unrealisticexpectations.com
Mon Jan 15 10:09:08 CST 2007

> On many forms, we see something to the effect of "Select Option" as the
> first option in a select list. Does anyone see an accessibility or
> usability
> issues with having this "invalid" option?

I think there are a couple of different approaches to it--from my stance on
the work that I've done where these have been used, it has been better to
NOT provide a default value that could allow someone to easily be
mis-categorized, but to instead utilize some method of error checking to
ensure an option is actually selected, if that is a required value.

--Russ