[thelist] Accessibility/usability of "Select Option" at top of list

Steven Streight steven.streight at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 12:00:14 CST 2007

Julian Rickards asked:

[QUOTE]

On many forms, we see something to the effect of "Select Option" as the
first option in a select list. Does anyone see an accessibility or usability
issues with having this "invalid" option?

[END QUOTE]

Maybe I'm not visualizing correctly what the actual scenario is here, but
why would you have any option pre-selected, in this case an invalid option?

If you wish users to interact with the form, do not pre-select anything,
have no default value, and use a (web norm) red typefont Error Message
appear saying "All asterisked items must be filled in for us to process your
input" or similar.

Or am I missing something here?

--
Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate
Web Usability. Blog Revolution. Online Marketing.

http://www.vaspersthegrate.blogspot.com