[thelist] Screen Resolution, which to design for?

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 12:40:44 CST 2007

On 1/15/07, Felix Miata <mrmazda at ij.net> wrote:
> > I have 1024x768 on my work laptop, and my
> > firefox window stays at around 75% of the screen width. I'd imagine
> > there's a similar trend as resolution increases, and that there is a
> > defined "comfort width" (in pixels) at which a user will tend to
> > browse.
>
> The comfort width is something one measures in pt, in, mm or cm, not px.
> It's why no web layout should depend on px for layout or text sizing.

If you're saying comfort width *should* be something measured in mm or
cm, sure. But, my comfort width is determined by what I can and cannot
fit into my browser window (without scroll) on the sites I typically
visit. Specifically, it is the smallest width for which this is true.

If this is the case in general, then to say "because comfort width is
measured in cm, etc., web layouts should not depend on px" is sort of
circular.

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA