[thelist] LDAP Question - Handling Addresses

Randal Rust randalrust at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 07:10:13 CST 2007

I am working on a project where we are migrating an LDAP directory
that runs on iPlanet to OpenLDAP.

In the iPlanet system, addresses are stored like this:

postalAddress=$home$123 W. Test St.$Columbus$OH$43215

When we converted these to OpenLDAP, the developer followed the
client's new schema, which broke the address down into separate
attributes:

postalAddress=123 W. Test St.
locality=Columbus
st=OH
postalCode=43215

In order for us to present an organization's address, we have to read
the arrays for each (postalAddress, locality, st and postalCode) and
put it all together.

The problem is, the system also needs to use two other /address/
attributes -- homeAddress and street. The client wants to be able to
have as many addresses as they want.

In all the examples that I can find on the web (and I have looked at
tons of examples) a person or organization typically only has one
address.

So the question is, is LDAP really meant to handle multiple addresses
for records?

--
Randal Rust
R.Squared Communications