[thelist] Firefox, CSS, and IIS issue

Matthew Bernhardt bernhardt.7 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 19 09:10:16 CST 2007

I'm moving the new design for a website from my sandbox to a proper
development environment, somehow the migration has caused Firefox to not
use the site's CSS styles. I believe the issue is with how the development
site is configured in IIS, but I can't be sure. If anybody could point out
what I may be missing, I would greatly appreciate. The details are:

* I have a Windows Server 2003 (Enterprise, SP1) that serves a few
different sites in various stages of development. I was using one as a
sandbox for a site re-design.

* I recently re-mapped the sites on this server so that the same files are
now served by a development site, rather than the sandbox site. These are
exactly the same files, sitting in the same folder with the same
permissions - the only change should be that instead of the address being
http://(sandbox.blah.blah)/default.asp, the URL is now
http://(development.blah.blah)/default.asp.

IE 6, IE 7, Opera, and Safari all see the new location correctly. Firefox,
however, isn't actually using the CSS styles - until I use the Web
Developer toolbar to edit the CSS, at which point the display shifts and
the CSS is used.

I'm not sure why this would be - the code is the same, and even on the new
site the CSS is apparently being loaded (because the Web Developer toolbar
is activating it).

* For right now, both the sandbox and development site are serving the
same files for easier troubleshooting. If you'd like to see the code, the
sandbox URL is:

http://benedikt.knowlton.ohio-state.edu

The development site is blocked by our firewall, so it wouldn't be much
use to give out that address.

* Because the only real difference in this scenario is how the sites are
defined within IIS, I'm guessing that this is where the problem lies - but
I've never seen anything in the site definitions that relates to enabling
CSS styling. Am I missing something?

* The CSS styles are loaded by the @import command - here's that portion
of the code from the entrance page:

<!--
@import url("/css/omnivorous8.css");
@import url("/css/omnimenu8.css");
@import url("/css/omnicontent8.css");
@import url("/css/osu-navbar8.css");

#image { /* This is defined in the ASP page to take advantage of
variable-parsing */
		z-index: 5;
		border: thick solid grey;
}
-->

My thanks in advance for any pointers on what to fix...

Matt
bernhardt.7 at osu.edu

Matt Bernhardt, bernhardt.7 at osu.edu
Webmaster  +  Fab  Lab  Coordinator