[thelist] [OT?] youth web workshop

Joel D Canfield joel at streamliine.com
Mon Jan 22 22:23:12 CST 2007

> If you had 10 minutes to run a computer / internet workshop
> for around 10 teenage kids, what would you do?
>
> Paul "I need ideas" Bennett

ten minutes? as in, less than eleven, more than nine?

here's what I did once, when my oldest son's friend Eric had 10 minutes
before his mom came to pick him up. he'd had HTML classes in school, and
said it was impossible; he just couldn't get it.

I bet him that in 10 minutes, he could build a three page website with
navigation. minimal content, and not very interesting, but after 9:20 he
had hand-coded three pages with 'you are here' text and 'other page 1'
and 'other page 2' links.

And, he understood what he was doing, in a rather basic way. Which was
more than his one semester class had done.

Or, ask them each to talk for one minute about what they'd miss most
about the internet if it was gone, and how they could improve whatever
that thing was.

Ten minutes? You can't get 10 teenagers to sit down and shut up in less
than ten minutes.

Fascinating question. I'd love to hear more about where it came from,
and what you end up doing.

joel