[thelist] Top 10 reasons to make your page accessible...

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 05:12:08 CST 2007

> > I am bored to tears with these "people will find you and you make
> > shitloads of money and you won't be sued" accessibility talks as they
> > tend to breed companies that love to tick boxes on a bobby report
> > rather than really do something about accessibility. There is no such
> > thing as white hat SEO, period.
>
> I sympathise, it's pretty tragic.

It is even worse: our old arguments are not applicable any longer.
Google happily follows JavaScript links and analyzes scripts for URLs.
It gets trickier and trickier to avoid links getting spidered (which
sometimes you do want to).

Screenreaders get more and more sophisticated in rendering rubbish,
and user testing with disabled people often results in them expecting
a lot of links on the top of the document. It is the MSIE problem
reloaded: make the technology as forgiving as possible and then you
sell copies. The people left behind are developers as predictability
of user agents goes down to zero.

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com