[thelist] Creating a portfolio

Steven Streight steven.streight at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 08:21:02 CST 2007

Erika et al have put forth good ideas. I have used portfolios since 1978 as
a direct marketing copywriter (who converted to web work in 1999).

One major point: buy the most expensive, leather, sturdy, rich looking
portfolio bag or case you can find, with metal zippers and a brand logo
maybe.

A portfolio is similar to the secretive "sales pitch book" that you can find
almost no info on if you Google it. I suggest you see your portfolio as a
"sales pitch book". Practice your presentation in front of friends, family,
colleagues, peers. Listen to their critiques. Coax them to be super harsh
and mean spirited in their attack. Try not to cry. But seriously, test that
thing in a live environment simulating the actual situation.

I used to shuffle my pages around obsessively, what goes first, what next,
what last? End the portfolio with a powerful knock out punch. Just when they
think they've seen some awesome material, show them a killer work sample.

I think you are better off without blurbs or notes attached to anything.
Publicity Hound web site says that PowerPoint is stupid, and the best
presentations are off the cuff, ad lib, no notes, and only using visuals to
present visual ideas, i.e. pictures and photos.

Get good at presenting the portfolio, as Erika said, from the point of view
of what the employer wants out of you.

--
Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate
Web Usability. Blog Revolution. Ecommerce.

http://www.vaspersthegrate.blogspot.com
http://www.blogcorevalues.blogspot.com
http://my.opera.com/vaspers88/blog
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=vaspers