[thelist] long, but gentle, rant about the non-ubiquity of technological knowledge (was RE: Newsletter as HTML Email)

Steven Streight steven.streight at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 09:06:05 CST 2007

With all due respect Joel, your thesis contradicts all the reports I get
from Nielsen Net Ratings and other internet usage trackers on how ecommerce,
for one example, is skyrocketing.

Anecdotal evidence is good, but not conclusive in the face of well
researched statistics.

We need to wake up. The Blog has made the everyday person, from pre-teens to
seniors, Web Masters, to a tiny but significant degree. I learned HTML by
tweaking a Blogger blog. Now I have RSS, YouTube embeds, Swicki custom
search engines, etc. Used to have Digg feedroll and Lockergnome feedroll,
Amazon widgets, etc.

My point is: have you noticed all the fancy widgets and unique designs of
MySpace blogs or WordPress blogs?

The bloggers are into Web 2.0 big time, and they are "non-techie". We tend
to think the few people we know who are resistant to change and are less
computer savvy than IT guys, that these non-geeks are somehow "stuck" in
their ignorance. But I'm amazed at how many people are getting sophisticated
with their little blogs and ecommerce sites, not to mention eBay and Amazon
savvy.

Luddites are vanishing. Cavemen have webcams. Savage tribes are using email.
It is a revolution, and it's up to us to Educate Our Family, Friends, and
Clients.

--
Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate
Web Usability. Blog Revolution. Ecommerce.

http://www.vaspersthegrate.blogspot.com
http://www.blogcorevalues.blogspot.com
http://my.opera.com/vaspers88/blog
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=vaspers