[thelist] FrontPage Error

Casey Crookston caseyc at IntelliSoftmn.com
Fri Feb 2 09:32:58 CST 2007

Hi,

A client is using FP to edit a few html pages on their site.  We just
gave the site a face lift and in the process we removed a bunch of html
files and added a bunch of new ones.  Didn't change any permissions,
didn't change anything in IIS. Now, when he tries to access the site via
FP, he gets this error:

This operation requires author permission for www.ServerName.com:80
<http://www.servername.com/>

Along with a prompt for user name and password.  According the Microsoft
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813522) the solution lies on his end.
This makes no sense as he didn't make any changes and I don't want to
suggest this solution w/o some more due diligence on my part.  I also
found a few other posts to various forums on the same error, but none
offered a legitimate solution.

He is using FP2000 and the site is hosted on Windows Server 2003.  Yes,
I know FP is going away.  He has been keeping his site up to date this
way for 5+ years and we are in the process of weaning him.  But for now,
we need this functionality back.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Casey