[thelist] format for video?

Charles Wiltgen cwiltgen at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 2 13:55:58 CST 2007

> She has the vhs tape and asked me how I'd like her
to present it to
> me so that I can post it to her website. This would
be a digital
> format. How would any of you with experience with
video do this?

First, capture.

- If you have a DV camera, many of them will allow you
to plug-in an
external source (like a VCR) and capture through that.
 If not, USB capture
devices like
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001Y7PSK/> ($80)
are fine.

- The capture software you use isn't important.  For
example, Windows Movie
Maker (which you probably already have on your system)
is fine.

- As Dave suggested, a VHS-to-DVD transfer is also a
good way to go.  DVD
VOB files are a little bit harder to work with than
the AVI files you'd get
when capturing on your own, but just post back if you
take this route.

Then, encoding.

- For publishing, Flash is probably your best bet.  It
offers pretty good
quality if you use VP6 (vs. the old video codec,
Spark).  If you own Flash
you can use Macromedia's encoder, or you can buy one,
or you can find a
friend with a Flash encoder.

-- Charles