[thelist] Email: Newsletter Programs

Steven Streight steven.streight at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 15:52:50 CST 2007

Sales of what? What is this newsletter, of the thread''s originator, trying
to sell? You don't buy insurance from a vendor because they use a big
mountain or a caveman or a swimsuit beauty in their ads.

The pictures grab attention on TV  and print. They clutter in some online
venues, and in newsletters. Not always. Just more than we care to admit.

We cannot assume that pictures are always helping to sell something.

And I don't give a rat's ass what all the big companies are doing, since
they tend to imitate each other and not innovate, and less accountability
for ROI or ROT on many efforts, no offense, just the nature of bureoucracy
and committees, etc.


On 2/6/07, Luther, Ron <Ron.Luther at hp.com> wrote:
> Steven Streight noted:
> >>Have you tested a graphic heavy version with a text only, or graphic
> lite, version?
> I don't do newsletters.  Have I tested different designs with my users?
> Yes.
> Have I actively persued different UI alternatives with my user base
> instead
> of leaving that to chance?  Of course.  No biggie.  I think we pretty
> much
> all do that to a greater or lessor degree.  Some more formally.  Some
> more
> informally.  I think we're all in the choir on that one.
> >>But Geiko using pictures in a TV commercial is not the same as what
> user want in an email newsletter.
> Correct.  It was a comment on the assertion about not being able to use
> photos to sell insurance ... and you'll note I specifically referred to
> their print ads instead of their TV or radio ads in order to speak to
> 'photo' and not 'audio' or 'video'.  Yes Virginia the insurance industry
> (and just about everyone else too) uses photos in their advertising.
> [Ever seen a Prudential 'rock'?  A Hartford 'hart'?  I picked on Geico
> - but they are far from the only insurer using imagery in their ads.]
> >>Keep in mind: this is NOT an attack on visuality, artists, pictures,
> graphic design, etc.
> Bzzzt!  I disagree.  That appears to be exactly what this is Steven
> ... an assertion disparaging the value of images in advertising ...
> a pretty darn untenable assertion in my book - but I'm not an 'ad' type.
> >From what I've seen in this thread the stated purpose of the newsletter
> under
> discussion is 'marketing'.  (There can be other purposes for
> newsletters.
> There could be one (without graphics) relating recent scientific
> findings
> for the past week in Endocrinology, for example.)  The newsletter under
> discussion
> in this thread, however, seemed aimed at promoting sales.  An area where
> liberal use of graphics and photos would be germane.
> Peace out,
> RonL.
> --
> * * Please support the community that supports you.  * *
> http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/
> For unsubscribe and other options, including the Tip Harvester
> and archives of thelist go to: http://lists.evolt.org
> Workers of the Web, evolt !

Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate
Web Usability. Blog Revolution. Ecommerce.

steven [dot] streight [at] gmail [dot] com


More information about the thelist mailing list