[thelist] Information highway. Was: Email/Newsletter Programs

Steven Streight steven.streight at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 14:01:48 CST 2007

I never meant to imply that you never use pretty pictures or graphic design
in a newsletter. I usually speak in radical terms to make a point, knowing
there are exceptions and contradictory evidence.

I was just maintaining that *many* email newsletters are over designed.
Often there is minimal message, vague or no benefit to users, loaded with
sales hype, seminar announcements, and corporate fluff boredoms.

Too often pictures are thrown into a newsletter because it looks good on
projector screen in a conference room. "Look at the beautiful {but low
response} newsletter we are using now!"

"Does it work?" may be the question nobody wants to ask, while "Big company
XYZ does similar" is enough to convince managers. What a sorry state that
is.

--
Steven Streight aka Vaspers the Grate
Web Usability. Blog Revolution. Ecommerce.

steven [dot] streight [at] gmail [dot] com

http://www.vaspersthegrate.blogspot.com