[thelist] wide-screen monitors and sites

Bob Meetin ontheroad at frii.com
Fri Feb 9 11:45:24 CST 2007

I had the wonderful experience of reviewing a couple sites that looked
great in IE and Firefox on standard proportion monitors, but on a
widescreen laptop, the columns got a little funky in IE (go figure),
some things not lining up and such.  This puts me in the position of
shopping for a widescreen monitor.

What was interesting here is that viewing sites through FF on widescreen
did not appear to cause any distortion or stretching but with IE (6*)
sites were stretched wide (in addition to some breaking).  The question
to the group, will widescreen standalone monitors behave the same as
laptops and/or is it possible that the widescreen laptop (borrowed) had
some configuration issues which only seemed to impact IE?  The browser
(IE) properties were pretty vanilla).  What I want to avoid is
purchasing a monitor to visualize a problem that isn't really a monitor
issue.  -Bob