[thelist] creating and delivering a formatted document with classic asp

Sarah Adams mr.sanders at geekjock.ca
Tue Feb 20 09:27:40 CST 2007

I'm looking to add a feature to a site whereby users could search for
events within a range of dates and get a formatted, printable list of
the events. The only questions I'm stuck with now are what format to
create the list in and how to accomplish it with classic ASP.

I'm leaning towards RTF as the format, as the users (a small, limited
group) all have Word, so they'd be able to easily edit the file if they
needed to before printing it. Are there any particular drawbacks to
using this format that I need to keep in mind?

As for how to deliver the file to the user, I was thinking I'd build the
RTF, then save it as a file on the server and give the user a link to
download the file. The site already has a document upload feature (as
part of a custom CMS that runs the site), so the file uploads are
handled by the FileUpload object from aspemporium.com:
<http://www.aspemporium.com/codelib.aspx?pid=139&cid=4>
But there doesn't seem to be a way to use this object to create and save
a file, rather than uploading it from the user's computer. Any
suggestions or pointers in the right direction? I tried googling with no
success.

TIA

--
sarah adams