[thelist] "Web 2.0 sites with the big friendly fonts"

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Wed Feb 21 22:37:43 CST 2007

On Feb 21, 2007, at 3:54 PM, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> ...people feel it is necessary to abbreviate six-, five-, four-,
> and even three-letter words. What does it say about a society that
> cares
> so little about its language that people aren't willing to type out
> "people" because it's six whole letters? Or "you" because it's three
> whole letters?

Am I mistaken, or did this come about largely because of text
messaging on cell phones?  It's such a pain to type when you have to
hit a button up to three times per letter, and sometimes have to
pause between letters, that people learned to abbr evrythg.

It that context it makes sense.  I think as the technology changes
the trend will go away....

Steve