[thelist] Websites have various purposes [Was: "Web 2.0 sites with the big friendly fonts"]

kasimir-k kasimir.k.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 02:52:20 CST 2007

Steven Streight scribeva in 21/02/2007 21:23:
> But I am not talking about "art", which is not of any functional purpose
> and is 100% aesthetic. I was talking about web sites only, ...

Not all sites are for business. Some are for entertainment. Some for
art. Some for something completely different.

Not all sites are primarily textual. Some rely on pictures, animation or
video.

We design site based on the sites' purpose, target audience etc., and
also based on our taste and likings, and those of our clients. And of
course we are responsible of our design choices. If it's a public
service site and we include only good sighted audience, we might get
sued. If it's a site for out artistic self expression and it fails to
attract and interest audience, we get ignored.

Give us common sense, not fanatic absolutes.

.k

<tip type="avoid errors with firebug's console" author="kasimir-k">

I you use Firebug (http://www.getfirebug.com/) you might experience
strange problems if you forget any console.log() commands in your js
files. If people visiting the site don't have Firebug installed (and
obviously most don't), there will be js-errors and browsers crashes -
and non-functining web site.

The solution is to use either Firebug Lite (http://www.getfirebug.com/)
or just include this js-snippet (from
http://www.getfirebug.com/firebug/firebugx.js):

if (!window.console || !console.firebug)
{
     var names = ["log", "debug", "info", "warn", "error", "assert",
"dir", "dirxml",
     "group", "groupEnd", "time", "timeEnd", "count", "trace",
"profile", "profileEnd"];

     window.console = {};
     for (var i = 0; i < names.length; ++i)
         window.console[names[i]] = function() {}
}

</tip>