[thelist] "Web 2.0 sites with the big friendly fonts"

Barney Carroll barney at textmatters.com
Thu Feb 22 08:11:57 CST 2007

I just had another look at that link submitted a while back...

http://www.informationarchitects.jp

I'm wary of falling into dismissal and generalisation, but after
concluding that the article was criminally irresponsible in its
authoritative over-simplicity, insensitivity to crucial wider factors,
and generally listing a bunch of awful sites (look at the links of
compliant sites - apart from piqniq.jp, which doesn't even abide by the
set rules, by and wide these sites are far below average in terms of
readability, let alone the wider scope of web design)... I realised how
it was that all these terrible things could be presented with such
magnanimity: The site is defined as being about information
architecture, and does not deal with information architecture in the
slightest.

I urge you all to be very wary of information architects sermonising
about information design. When talking about fields they are not expert
in (let's face it, that's 99.9% of the world's recognised information
disciplines), they will tend to be incredibly arrogant while posing as
worldly-wise. This sounds like awful prejudice, but I have been fooled
at various presentations. You have to use your head when faced with
these people.

Regards,
Barney