[thelist] Image rollover check

Julian Rickards julian.rickards at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 07:40:15 CST 2007

I have only seen this "trick" in use for background images, not foreground
images. If it is used for a background image, applied via CSS, then if the
browser is CSS-disabled, neither image will be displayed.

The only possibility I can think of for use of this technique is to use it
along with an image-replacement technique where the comic strip is pushed
off the left edge of the screen and the background image is displayed in its
place and then swapped with the coloured image when the mouse is over it.

There is one problem with this whole idea of using CSS is that IE6 (maybe
IE7 too, I don't know) doesn't support the :hover pseudo-class on anything
but anchor tags so image swapping on :hover won't work, only JS will do
this.

Jules