[thelist] Career Help

Donna Jones donnajjones at gwi.net
Sat Mar 31 11:19:09 CDT 2007

> I'm curious -- what kind of "local courses" are you referring to?

mainly i'm talking about non-programming courses, courses that say
they'll make you a "webmaster".

> In the US at least, community colleges may offer evening classes
> in technical subjects, and the fees are, in my experience, quite
> reasonable. (My experience with them is limited to California and
> Hawaii, though, so YMMV.)
>
> For someone just getting into programming, an introductory course
> or two might provide a good foundation. You don't need a CS degree
> to program, but some understanding of theory makes it easier :-)

i've ck'd out three local institutions, to various degrees, the latest
was looking at a syllabus from the community college.  I can't remember
the details but essentially the whole course had various weekly
subjects; each could/should be a whole course onto itself (and nothing
about standards or accessibility).  He, my friend, had ck'd out what is
offered at the University level here and said it was the same and that's
why he took it from the community college.

obviously, other's community may vary but for myself but i haven't found
anything to beat good on-line classes and, in particular, International
Webmasters', right now (i don't like their interface but have mainly
stopped complaining about it). :) Ziff Davis, in its day was better
though, and they had great instruction manuals many of which i still use
sometimes.

about the cost at iwa, if you're a member you get a very substantial
discount, so if you're planning on taking a course - join first.

cheers
donna

--
Donna Jones