[thelist] Load testing websites / web apps

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 18:48:13 CDT 2007

On 4/9/07, Paul Bennett <Paul.Bennett at wcc.govt.nz> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone share any insights into load testing sites / apps. I'm looking at possible product 'solutions' and am wondering if there's a better way before plunking down company cash on something that may not prove that useful...
>
> Any help / thoughts / comments welcome.

You didn't specify the size of your application, but if you're load
testing, I'll assume it's decent size.

LoadRunner by Mercury is pretty much the only way to go.

http://www.mercury.com/us/products/performance-center/loadrunner/

You can try to roll your own, but unless your app is incredibly
simple, you're going to find that setting up valid load tests is a lot
more difficult than it sounds. LoadRunner essentially records HTTP
traffic during a set of functional tests, and then uses that traffic
to hammer the application.

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA