[thelist] [] Ack! Multiple IE installer broke! Need help!

Micky Hulse micky at ambiguism.com
Tue Apr 10 19:50:51 CDT 2007

Hi Ken! Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your help. Sorry I did
not respond sooner... somehow I missed these emails over the last few days.

thelistj at lists.evolt.org wrote:
> XP shipped with IE 6.0 - there are no legit versions of XP with v5.5. You
> will need to downgrade to Win2000 or Win9x

Ahhh, I see. Makes sense.

> As I posted on Wednesday last week - the info is here:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/03/20/ie6-vpc-refresh-now-available.asp

Doh! Sorry I missed that last week. :)

Great to see that they offer such a thing for us developers.

> Follow the IE blog for announcements on when the next VPC image will be made
> available. According to IE blog, other versions of IE are so small now that
> they didn't both making a VPC of those browsers.

Yeah! Very interesting... I think I may just temporarily feed IE5.5 no
style until I can really test things:

@import "/css/styleFoo.css"/**/;

> If you are developer, you can always get MSDN, Technet or Action Pack
> subscription. Reasonably cheap way of getting OS versions, developer
> software, server software etc.

Ahh, sounds good for serious dev folks or big companies... I would
probably consider myself a one-man-show-dabbler -- a full subscription
would probably be more than I need. :(

> That would be the other way to go. Windows 2000 is probably available pretty
> cheaply on eBay or similar. XP VM is available from MS website. That should
> cover most of your needs.

Yep! Good idea. This seems more like the dabblers approach -- right up
my alley! :D

Unfortunately I wish I had thought of this when I last formatted my
HD... No partitions ATM... Next time I do a clean install I will
consider a W2K partition. Additionally, I will keep my eyes pealed for a
W2K box.

Many thanks Ken! I really appreciate your time and guidance!

Have a great day and/or night!
Cheers,

Wishlists: <http://snipurl.com/vrs9>
    Switch: <http://browsehappy.com/>