[thelist] zindex problem

Lee Kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 12 03:27:03 CDT 2007

On 11/04/07, Matt Warden <mwarden at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/11/07, Lee Kowalkowski <lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I need it the other way around! The div does have a background color,
> but obviously it is "under" the text box later down in the page.
>
> > Difficult to say without seeing your code, but it looks like you need
> > to put your text boxes in a different z-plane than your div if this is
> > the case (or just have non-positioned text boxes).
>
> Ok, how do I do this? Setting explicit z-index is not doing it:
>
> input: position=absolute, z-index=9049
> "dropdown" div container: position=absolute, z-index=9051
> "dropdown" content div: position=absolute, z-index=9052

Assuming that is pseudo-style it looks fine.  Therefore I can only
guess that the z-index values aren't being set successfully, because
your screenshot shows what would be rendered if no z-index were
specified.

Try grabbing a reference to your dropdown and input elements in IE and
alerting the value of the outerHTML property, see if the z-index has
been applied.  Unless you're not manipulating the style object of the
elements, in which case what are you doing?

You can do this in favelet-fashion directly in the address bar if you
don't want to interfere with the code...

javascript:alert(document.getElementById("myElement").outerHTML);

--
Lee