[thelist] State of the art in CAPTCHA decoding?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Wed Apr 18 15:48:15 CDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 19:47 +0000, kasimir-k wrote:
> 2. The most difficult spammers are actually human, not bots. Using
> rel="nofollow" attribute does discourage some, but instead of that I
> just disallow the string "http://" in the messages, and ask the users
> to remove them from the web addresses. That way I have to copy-paste
> any URLs instead of just clicking them, but I find that small enough
> trouble.

This breaks anything with a legitimate need to use URLs. If the nature
of the form is such that there's no legitimate need to post a URL,
that's one thing, but the strength of URL syntax is what the U stands
for: uniform.

That, and I wouldn't be surprised if spammers start using gopher:// URLs
instead, just to get around this.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>