[thelist] Representing tasks in the database

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Apr 26 19:31:02 CDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:17:43PM -0400, Matt Warden wrote:
> task       order
> 1              0
> 2              0
> 3              1
> 4              2
> 5              2
>
> Task 1 and 2 can be done in either order. Both must be done before 3.
> Three must be done before 4 and 5, but 4 and 5 can be done in either
> order. This particular representation does not allow for the circular
> precedence problem.

Hum, that's a simple solution, although I'm not sure how you might
approach a project where there's tasks a, b, c where "a" must be done
before "b" -- and also tasks 1 2 3 where 1 must be done before 2.

Then task "d" might depend on both task "c" and task "3".

I'm thinking the project might be split up into teams and then the
tasks split up.

Is this why good project management software is so expensive? ;)

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org