[thelist] A form in an HTML email?

Rick den Haan rick.denhaan at gmail.com
Wed May 2 09:13:49 CDT 2007

Tris wrote:
> Can we have a box and submit button that talks to a web page?
> Clearly we'll have a link to a page with teh form on also, but this
> might encourage users to fill out the form...

Tris,

It might be possible, but even if it is, I'm sure the e-mail client will
flag your message as spam. Outlook 2007, since it uses the Word 2007 engine,
you'd need for this.  Outlook 2000 and 2003 do, but they are rumored to
delete the *message* if you try to correct a typo using the Del button.

Of course, if it's just a textarea you need for comments, you might as well
put a mailto: link in the message and fill in the To: and Subject: field
automatically.  Since the user is already in their mail client reading the
message, this might even be preferred.  Webmail clients might even take over
the mailto: links and replace them with their own compose-links.  I think
GMail does that, the webmail my hosting provider uses does as well.

HTH,
Rick.

[1]: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338201.aspx  (quite a long
way down, a bullet list under the heading "Unsupported HTML Elements
Compared with the HTML 4.01 Specification")