[thelist] extracting data from a MS SQL database back-up file (OT?)

rogerharness at comcast.net rogerharness at comcast.net
Sat May 12 01:10:08 CDT 2007

Dear Evolters,

I hope this isn't too far off topic!?

At work we use a web-based LMS called Pathlore to keep track of all of our employee training. The Pathlore database itself is housed on a Windows server. While Pathlore can generate some simple reports, I mainly use Crystal Reports to run anything more complicated then say a simple employee training history.

I *can* run Pathlore from any computer with internet access, and successfully access the training database. Unfortunately I can't reach the database via Crystal Reports for security reasons, both from our IT folks, as well as Pathlore's.

However, Pathlore technical support DID create and send me a back-up copy of the database. But they said to view or extract any data, since the database is an MS-SQL back-up file, I would need to open up the file using a Windows Server. THEN I would be able to somehow access the data with Crystal Reports, locally on my machine.

Honestly I'm pretty clueless with Window's servers. I tried to download and install the simplelest Windows Server application I could find, which I thought was Microsoft SQL Server 2005. And I *think* when I downloaded it, it said something about "Express".

But now I still can't do anything with my back-up file! I don't even know how to start the MS SQL Server, or what to do once I get it going. I was hoping it would be similar to PHPMyAdmin where I could easily manage the data/etc, but I am not having any luck.

Tech support is no help, and I've been googling it seems like forever now! Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, help, etc. for me to be able to access this information?

TIA as always!

-Roger Harness