[thelist] FIXED: first post -- using a variably resizing cell with rowspan?

Adam Gromfin agromfin at gmail.com
Mon May 14 12:47:57 CDT 2007

Since I resolved the problem -- score another for tenacity -- about which I
posted last week (quoted below), I wanted to post my solution and a tip:

As described below, I was trying to get two variably sized columns to
expand/contrast in unison.  I got the tabling fixed and it now does what I
need: http://www.hbr.morebutter.net/joomla/rowspan-fixed.html

PROBLEM/SOLUTION:  The problem was that the bottom left cell (with the
image) was the cell that was expanding/shrinking.  Since that cell did not
have a border element (except for the one embedded in the image), when the
cell would grow, the border would appear to disappear.  By holding the size
of that cell constant (setting the height to match the image height), it
forced the middle cell to expand/contract, as I wanted.

TIP:  I discovered the problem by assigning a color to the background of
each cell.  That helped me understand the complicated table structure and to
debug.  Once I assigned the colors, the problem surfaced, and the solution
took 30 seconds.  Next time I setup complicated tables I'm always going to
start with a colored template like this one:
http://www.hbr.morebutter.net/joomla/simplified.html

Thanks to those who offered advice.

-adam